School: Arizona State University-Barrett Honors College
Hometown: Warsaw, ID
Erica Murphy’s top five are: “Meet Virginia” by Train, “Hotel California” by the Eagles, “She’s everything” by Brad Paisly, “How to love” by Lil’ Wayne, and “I’m so Proud of You” by Drake.
Why did you want to be a 12 girl?
- I think being apart of Tempe12 is a great way to network, and also a lot of fun. A free month of personal training doesn’t hurt either!
What do you want to be when you grow up/ How will being a 12 help?
- I am hoping to eventually be an entertainment lawyer. I think being a 12 will help with making connections and meeting new people. I think being an agent for an athlete or actor would be really interesting too if being a lawyer falls through.
Tell us something about you that people wouldn’t expect from just looking at you?
- A lot of my high school friends would tell me that they saw me as “Miss Perfect”—the girl that had it all: good grades, pretty friends, etc. I’ve always been a perfectionist when it comes to school. I think a lot of people think I’ve had everything handed to me; however, I’ve had to work for everything I have. I pay for everything myself (and I have since I was 16). It’s not always easy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
What’s your major and how did you decide on that?
- I am a philosophy major. I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to major in undergrad. I’ve always known I’ve wanted to be a lawyer though. (When I was 5, I told my grandma I was either going to be a lawyer or a princess. Being a princess seemed silly once I turned 13) Statistically, economics majors do the best on the LSAT and philosophy majors are second. I started as an econ major, but the math killed me! I decided I liked philosophy better so I switched second semester.
Best trip you have ever taken?
- I studied abroad in London last summer. It was really amazing to see Europe. There’s so much history there. I got to see things that only seemed to exist in history books before. The nerd in me loved it.
How have things changed since you’ve become a 12?
- Not a whole lot has changed. A few people I wouldn’t have expected have asked me out. I’ve had a few random people in my classes ask me if I’m in Tempe 12.
Favorite college memory?
- I think my favorite memories were from living in the dorms freshman year. I made some amazing friends and had some crazy times. I think my absolute favorite memory was Halloween that year. I went up to a real police officer and told him I liked his costume. He looked pretty confused.
What do you look for in a guy?
- Being attractive is a major plus, but it’s definitely not everything. I think a sense of humor is so important as well as someone who is intelligent. Recently, I’ve learned that empathy and compassion are imperative. I always look at how a man treats his mother. It’s usually a pretty good indication of how he’ll treat women in general. If he doesn’t respect his mom, I wouldn’t pursue anything.
Tell us about your best and worst date?
- Best- He picked me up in the afternoon and we went to King’s Road coffee shop in Los Angeles. They have the best coffee in the world. Then we hiked Runyon Canyon. We put wine in the coffee cups, so it a much more interesting hike. We ended the night at Griffith Observatory—the only place in LA where you can actually see stars. It was an amazing day.
- Worst- I went out on one date with a guy who was super boring then he “forgot his wallet”. I didn’t even care. It was worth the fifty dollars just to get out of there!
Why did you decide on ASU?
- ASU gave me the biggest scholarship, so I decided not to go to UCLA (my dream school at the time). In all honesty, I’m very happy with the decision I made. It has been a great experience.
Tell us about where you grew up?
- I kind of grew up everywhere. I was born in Warsaw, Indiana. I moved to Arizona when I was very young. After that, I lived between Arizona, Connecticut and Indiana until I was 13. I went to five different elementary schools. When I was 13, I moved to Gilbert with my aunt and uncle. I finished junior high and high school there.
What’s one item you can’t live without and why?
- My car. I hate not having a car. It’s rough! I don’t like having to depend on anyone so I like being able to get where I need to go when I want to be there